SERVINGS:2-3pax. CUISINE:Indian. AUTHOR: Mrs Ilavarasi devendran.
INGREDIENTS: (FOR PONGAL):
- Ponni rice -1cup.
- Moong dhal. -1/2 cup.
- Water. -4 1/2 cup
- Salt. -2tbsp
- Black pepper -6tbsp
- cumin seeds. -3tbsp
- curry leaves -10-12 leaves
- Ginger. -7 tbsp (minced)
- Mustard. -1tsp
- Gingelly oil. -8tbsp
- Ghee. -3 tbsp
- Cashew nut. – 1 handful
- Turmeric powder. – pinch
- hing. 1 spoon
Wash and soak rice and dhal together for 30min.Now add them to the pressure cooker then add 5 glasses of water with a pinch of turmeric powder.Add up 2 tbsp of salt and check for the level of salt(it should be little more salty)
Now add the whistle to the pressure cooker and it leave it for 5 whistle.
On the other side take a small pan .Pour gingelly oil and when it is hot ,add in mustard and pepper when it splutter add cumin seeds and ginger when it is cooked add the curry leaves and hing
Once the pressure is down ,open the cooker and add this tempering to into the cooker and mix it. Now in a small pan add ghee and roast some cashew nuts.
- Rinse and wash the rice and dhal until clear and clean
- Gingelly oil is the key secret for the pongal
- Add up extra ginger for the authentic touch of pongal
- Once after opening the pressure cooker you can mash the hot rice with a potato masher for a meaty soft pongal.
- Rice and water should be 1:3 which makes the Pongal softer.
“Serve them hot with coconut and groundnut chutney ,onion &tomato chutney.