Dhal is a term used in the Indian subcontinent for dried , split pulses that do not require pre soaking. India is the largest produce of pulses in the world.
It is a simple and yet a tasty and healthy side dish that is used in most of the Indian house.
Some of the Health benefits of dhal:
- Rich in essential nutrients dal promotes skin health and prevents acne.
- Good source of dietary fibre regulates blood sugar spike.
- Abundant in protein, mineral and antioxidants masoor dal help to boosts immunity.
Some of the best dhal that is used are :
Masoor dhal, moong dhal , channa dhal and toor dhal. You can replace toor dhal with masoor dhal or moong dhal. Masoor dhal is protein packed dhal which has many nutrients in it. All the dhal has some dietary fibre
The word “tadka”means “tempering “. The process of that in Indian cooking mostly involves adding spices like mustard,cumin seeds,garlic, chili and curry leaves to a hot oil or ghee. And the dhal used here is toor dhal or split pigeon peas
Preparation time : 10mins. Cooking time: 15mins Total time : 25mins
- Small Onion 🧅 – 8 to 9
- Carrot 🥕 – 1 small
- Beans – 4 to 5
- Toor dhal – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder. – 1/2 tsp
- Ghee. – 5 tbsp
- Garlic 🧄 – 9 to 10 cloves
- Dry Red chili – 5
- Mustard. – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – few for tempering
- Coriander leaves – few to garnish
- Hing. – 1 tsp
- Salt. – 1.5 tbsp
- cumin seeds. – 1 tbsp
- Urid dhal – 1tbsp
Step 1 :
In a pan, pour some ghee once hot add in the things under “ to temper” sauté for few mins then add up the Garlic , Onions and Hing mix them up until its raw smell goes off.
Once it is cooked add up the vegetables and give a stir. Now once it is cooked add up the salt and turmeric to it and mix them up.
In a bowl rinse the toor / masonry dhal and add them to the pressure cooker with double the water into it. Pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistle to get the dhal consistency well. ( if not cooked completely. No issues just mash them with potato masher ) and now add them to the pan and mix them up well. Finally, garnish them with coriander leaves and serve them hot with papads.
- The tadka process can also be done in the last which will give more aroma and nice flavor to the dish.
- You can also add more veggies of your choice or with no veggies at all.
- Best side dish for chapathi, pulao, jeera/veg rice and plain rice.