Vada pav, alternatively spelt wada pao, is a vegetarian fast food dish native to the state of Maharashtra. The dish consists of a deep fried potato dumpling placed inside a bread bun sliced almost in half through the middle. It is generally accompanied with one or more chutneys and a green chili pepper.
Preparation time: 15 mins Cooking time:20 mins Total time: 25 mins
Ingredients : ( for potato balls frying)
- Potato. – 2 medium.
- Cumin seeds. – 1 tsp
- Ginger. – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Mustard. – 1 tsp
- Oil. – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves. – few
- Green chili. – 3 to 4 according to your taste
- Asafetida – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt. – To taste
- Pav bun. – 5 to 6 pair
Ingredients ( for batter to dip and fry):
- Besan flour. – 1 cup
- Water. – 1/2 cup or as required
- Turmeric powder. – 1/2 tsp
- Salt. – as needed
- Asafetida. – a pinch
Preparation: (potato stuffing balls).
In a cooker , add potato balls and cook them with water until it is too soft to mash. Mash them not to soft not too hard. Now, in a pan add oil and when hot add in the cumin seeds and mustard seeds when they crackle add in the curry leaves ,ginger and green chili.
Now add in the mashed potato and mix them up together and leave in the pan for few minutes. Keep them aside once it is mixed and dry to make them as a ball.
Preparation for basan/gram flour batter:
In a bowl add besan flour ( serve them so that there is no lumps formed) salt, asafetida and turmeric powder and mix them together. Now add water little by little whisk them together so that it is lumps free. Now take a small potato stuffing make it a small ball and dip them in the batter
Preparation for pav :
Make little flatten ball shape with the potato filling and fry them one by one. And in pan toast the pav both sides with some butter or ghee and ally mint chutney and dry chili garlic chutney on one side and the other side apply sweet tamarind chutney and place the potato vada inside it.
- The batter should not be too thick or thin. If the batter becomes thin, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of gram flour. If the batter becomes thick, then add 1 or 2 tablespoons water.
- Adding baking soda to the batter is optional.
- In the hot oil when frying the pan turn of the flame and pour the batter with spoon to get a mixture and fry the green chili for the pav